Friday, July 4, 2014

A Piece of Patrick

Here's a short excerpt from "Monica's Healing".  Enjoy!


“Tell me what your family said to make you hate yourself so much that you can’t accept anyone else loving you?”  Silence.  “That’s what’s been standing between us from the moment we met.  Tell me what happened.”  She shook her head and backed away, stopping in front of the staircase.  “You have to get beyond it, Monica.  Talk to me, please.”
She hung her head and sighed.  Why was he pushing her? 
“Alright,” Patrick relented.  He wanted to wrap her in his arms and kiss away her fears, but he knew how she would respond.  Instead, he walked over to the sofa and made himself comfortable.  “I’m not leaving,” he announced.  He had realized that the state of mind Mr. Weston was concerned about had much less to do with his wife’s death than with the life she had inflicted on Monica – and he could not help until she told him the cause of her pain.
Monica stared at him, panic-stricken.  “You can’t stay here all night!”
“I’ll leave when you talk to me, not before.”
“Patrick, get out of my house!”
“No.  I’m not leaving you.”  Did she truly understand what those words meant?
“Patrick, you have to leave!  I can’t have people thinking you spent the night.”
“Then talk to me, Monica.  Tell me what I need to know in order to help us.”  He crossed his arms and studied her carefully.  Silence and that stubborn tilt of her chin.  What had he just missed about her change in demeanor?  Why had panic turned to defiance?  He blinked.  Suddenly, he felt sorry for Monica and silently prayed that he was doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment