Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Another 5-Star Review for Detour

A professional editor read my book and said it was amazing. Here is some of what she wrote on Amazon: "This was one of the most beautifully written stories I've read in a long time. She showed a true sensitivity of soul so needed by an author. The author slowly drew me in and made me fall for the characters, the small town with its homey feel and even helped me understand why Jess's family did what they did. If you love a well-written story full of emotion that leaves you with a smile and a satisfied sigh, this one's for you."


I thought you might want another taste of the book.

I watched her go over to the booth where the elderly couple had sat and join the conversation Jake was having. Then, I turned my attention to the laminated menu that had Wednesday across the top. No French toast. But the apple fritters with sausage patties and two eggs were tempting.

“That’s a good choice,” Jake said, standing beside me and noticing where my finger was on the menu.

“I have the feeling everything here is a good choice.” I couldn’t help but smile at the double entendre. I was very aware of how close he was and how he was looking at me. His expression was different from yesterday; it was probably more like it must have been last night when he was holding me. Something was definitely happening between us. “That’s what I’ll have.” I handed him the menu. He took it but did not move away.

“Did you sleep well?” he wanted to know.

“Definitely. Between the dancing and the beer, I was very relaxed. What about you?”

“I slept alright, except it was a little hot last night.”

Okay – I’m not stupid. That smile and those eyes said he was NOT talking about the weather. I made some comment about turning the air conditioning down in my motel room. He laughed quietly and walked away.

Hmm. Were we really flirting? Wasn’t that just a continuation of last night? I should eat my breakfast, check out of my room, and get back on the road. There was nothing to stop me from checking into the hotel in Indianapolis a day early. I should be doing what I was supposed to be doing – finding a business to buy. I shouldn’t stay to find out his life story and follow up on this attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment